Friday, November 19, 2010

What?


So, I haven't been thinking about this for a while. I have been preoccupied with taking care of other people's kids. It's called teaching kindergarten. It turns out teaching kindergarten is one part managing parents and one part teaching 5 year olds. I have come to the conclusion that parents of five years olds are completely insane. Of course, there are a few in the mix who, on occasion, exhibit normal behavior. But for the most part, they are insane. Here is a perfect example:
The setting: parent-teacher conferences. Let me remind you that I am a giant and am forced to sit at teeny tiny chairs and tables. When I think about what I must look at sitting at those tables,it really is ridiculous.
The characters: me, a parent and the translator
Here's what happened: I tried really hard to talk with this parent about how her child cannot recognize any letters or numbers and desperately needs some extra help at home. But she did not care. What she cared about (and proceeded to use up all of the 15 minutes allotted for the conference ranting about) was that another student has called her child stupid. Really? This is what she is using this precious time(with a translator!) to discuss? I understand that parents need to fight battles for their kids. But please, pick the battles. What I wanted to say, and didn't, was that MAYBE if she stopped fighting her child's battles, the girl might be able to stand up for herself and other kids will stop calling her names. But, I never had the chance. The time ran out.
Conclusion: If you are a parent, I am convinced that you are 90% insane. I say this even though I have dozens of friends with kids.
But, I have enough problems. I don't need to add "insane parent" to my list of ailments.

No comments:

Post a Comment