Monday, July 18, 2011

Because I Am Already 12 Inches From Crazy Part 2



Apparently, I can’t get this idea of crazy out of my mind-eight months later. So here is round two-just for you Jessie.

It is crazy that, when given the choice to believe his/her five (or ten or 15) year old over a grown-up, a parent chooses the five (or ten or 15) year old. As a teacher, I can assure you, this happens all the time. Teachers don’t like reporting “bad” behavior to parents. It feels like tattle tailing. So it is always shocking for me when I hear parents side with their child. “If Johnny said he didn’t do it, then, he didn’t do it.” It doesn’t matter if I saw Johnny take the money out of my desk. “He didn’t do it.” Given the statistics, I am just going to guess, children lie more than adults. Why would parents believe their five (or ten or 15) year old over an adult? Because they are crazy.

It is crazy to cook two or three different meals a night. I know several families in which the adults eat one meal for dinner (usually a plate filled with vegetables, or fish or something else equally disgusting like, oh I don’t know, brown rice) and the children eat a separate meal (usually a plate filled with white, plain pasta). When did this happen? When did moms or dads let children insist a special meal be made just for them. Why do parents let themselves be jerked around like this ? Because they are crazy.

It is crazy to not see what is right in front of you. The writing on the wall, so to speak.Parents lose their rational part of the brain and the find the crazy brain. Suddenly, their child is the most, the best and the exception. For example...
“…my child is extremely gifted.”
Everybody has something special about them, but only 3-5% of the population are intellectually gifted. So, chances are, your child is bright, clever and intelligent. But not gifted.
“…my child would never do that.”
Really? I SAW HIM pull his pants down in front of the class. But again, why believe me-I’m just the adult?
Why can’t parents be honest with themselves and see their children for what they really are (good and bad)? Because they are crazy.
And because I am already 12 inches from crazy, I don't need to get any closer.

Reasons not to have a kid: 9
Reason to have a kid:1

1 comment: